Please read the following selections from Approaches to Art:
Chapter 5 – Start at the beginning of the chapter and stop when you reach the section titled “Expressive versus analytical line vocabulary: Art Nouveau and Bauhaus”.”
Chapter 10 – Start at the beginning of the chapter and stop when you reach the section titled “Painting Media.”
In both chapters you may skip any sections that are “studio exercises” or “discussions.”
After reading these sections AND watching the lectures, please answer the following reflection questions:
1. Find an example of organic lines/shapes around your home/work/living space. Take a picture and include it in your submission for this assignment. Explain how the image shows organic lines/shapes.
2. Find an example of geometric lines/shapes around your home/work/living space. Take a picture and include it in your submission. Explain how the image shows/organic lines/shapes.
3. Go outside and take a picture of something natural. A tree, flowers, grass, sticks, bushes, etc. Include your image in your submission, and discuss the qualities of the colors in your photo. Does your photo contain primary colors, seconary, tertiary? Are the colors warm or cool? Are they analogous or complementary? Are they high or low in saturation? Be as specific as possible! There are lots of helpful diagrams in the textbook that will assist you.
4. Using the same photo from #3, discuss the emotional impact of the colors/color scheme in your image. Is it calming, or full of energy? Happy? Melancholy? Mysterious? Forboding? (These are just ideas to get you thinking!) Connect your answer to your responses in #3. I.e. – how do the qualities of the colors influence the emotional impact?
Though there are no word count requirements for these questions, please write several full sentences and make sure that your responses show understanding of the concepts from the readings/lectures.
TO ACCESS THE BOOK FOLLOW THIS LINK ENTER THE INFORMATION BELOW
WATCH THESE VIDEOS
After listening to the podcast, answer the following questions:
1. In this episode the host (Katy Hessel) and guest (Briget R Cooks) discuss Alma Thomas’ relationship with color. What do they say that color means to Alma Thomas?
2. Select one of the paintings discussed in the podcast episode, and answer the following questions:
a. Discuss the colors Alma Thomas used in this painting, and their qualities. Use the materials from Module 1 as a guide for how to answer this question.
b. Discuss the lines/shapes Alma Thomas used in this painting, and their qualities. Organic v. geometric? Implied v. actual?
3. Now, pick 2 principles of design. For each of the two principles you have selected, discuss how Alma Thomas has used color, line, and shape to create that principle. For example, how does her use of colors/lines/shapes create emphasis? How does her use of colors/lines/shapes create rhythm?
EXTRA CREDIT ACTIVITY
If you enjoyed listening to the Alma Thomas episode, you can listen to another episode about a different artist and earn 5 points of extra credit! Just pick an episode, listen and take notes, and then upload your notes here. You can take notes by hand and take a picture, or you can type notes and upload the file. I don’t have a length requirement for your notes, but your notes should show me that you listened attentively to the whole episode. At the end of your notes, tell me what your favorite part of the episode was, or give some summary thoughts about the artist and what you learned.
Here is the link to all the episodes: https://www.thegreatwomenartists.com/katy-hessel-podcast
You can listen to up to 3 podcasts for 5 points each, so 15 points total. You may submit your notes anytime during the semester.
(I NEED 3 EXTRA PODCASTS)
PART 1 Please read the following selections from Approaches to Art: Chapter 5 –